The health and nutrition landscape is littered with products that promise to burn away that spare tire and reveal your inner six pack. Predictably though, what most of them do is burn a hole in your bank account and leave your six pack buried away like a mummy beneath the sands.
If you search hard enough, however, every once in a while you come across a product that actually lives up to its fat burning promise and we’re here to see if Rockstar Abs fat burner is one of those products.
What is Rockstar Abs?
Rockstar is a sports nutrition company that has nothing to do with rock and roll or music in general. Their Rockstar Abs Fat Burner is said to be the real thing when it comes to melting away unwanted adipose tissue so we’re here to take a closer look.
Rockstar Abs Fat Burner is similar to other contemporary fat burners in that it aspires to leverage thermogenics to kickstart the burning of fat. “Thermogenics” as you may be aware is the process of stimulating the metabolic system in order to prompt your body to burn fat on its own.
That’s a nifty trick that is responsible for those naturally thin people we all envy. Their metabolisms operate at such an elevated rate that whatever they eat or drink is consumed in short order by the metabolic fire and never winds up on their gut or butt.
Rockstar Abs seeks to generate this same type of metabolic fire in you by providing a wealth of ingredients known and/or believed to stimulate the metabolism. Let’s take a look at those ingredients now.
How does Rockstar Abs work?
The Rockstar Abs ingredient list is long and by turns familiar and curious. There is nothing here that’s “bad” though any time you see the words “proprietary blend” you need to dig.
Proprietary blend is a term that allows manufacturers to keep the exact amounts of various ingredients secret. And while we understand the need to protect your hard work the practice isn’t one that necessarily inspires confidence. That said, let’s have a look at what makes Rockstar Abs tick.
- Ketones are produced by the body naturally when it can’t find carbohydrates to burn for fuel. You may have heard of the “keto diet” (1) which is where you essentially starve the body of carbs forcing it to burn fat for energy instead; a process known as “ketosis”. It has been shown that certain products can, for short periods of time, mimic the effects of ketosis and raspberry ketones are one of those. So Rockstar Abs is on the right track out of the gate.
- Green Coffee Bean is believed to be one of the more effective natural fat burning substances. Coffee beans are naturally green when harvested and only turn brown or black after being roasted. Roasting also removes most of the chlorogenic acid in the coffee bean and it’s this compound that is believed to reduce the absorption of carbohydrates, thereby producing an effect similar to that achieved by means of the keto diet. And in fact there is some clinical evidence to back up these beliefs (2). Although the fact that most clinical data is gleaned from animal testing means that it cannot be relied upon to necessarily reflect what happens in humans.
- Hoodia is the next ingredient on the Rockstar Abs list. Hoodia comes to the West via South Africa where it has achieved something akin to legendary status as a weight loss supplement. The story goes that the bush people of the Kalahari Desert have chewed on the hoodiagordonii plant for centuries and it’s this habit that is responsible for their being such trim, healthy individuals. Lately it has found favor in the West and is included here to augment the fat burning properties of raspberry ketones and green coffee beans.
- White kidney bean extract is one of the lesser known ingredients on the Rockstar Abs list. A study published in 2011 (3) suggested that taking white kidney bean extract 15 minutes before eating resulted in study participants losing weight as compared to other participants who were given a placebo. Other smaller studies seem to confirm this. As such it’s good to see it here because is demonstrates once again that the Rockstar chemists have been doing their research.
On the the Proprietary Blend
We need to take a quick look at the ingredients in the proprietary blend even though we don’t know exactly what amounts are being used.
- It is no surprise to see caffeine on the ingredient list here because virtually every weight loss supplement on the planet includes it. Why? Because it’s pretty effective at getting people up and getting them active which is the best way known to man to burn calories.
- Garcinia cambogia, also known as Malabar tamarind, is touted for its ability to help promote weight loss. It might also help control blood sugar and cholesterol levels as well. The active ingredient in Garcinia is hydroxycitric acid which studies seem to show (4) can promote fat burning and suppress the appetite.
- African Mango may be the ingredient in Rockstar with the thinnest claim to weight loss legitimacy. In spite of some glowing press there is in fact virtually no evidence it does anything substantive to help you burn calories, increase your metabolism or otherwise lose weight.
The proprietary blend on the Rockstar Abs label also includes conjugated linoleic acid (thought to stimulate weight loss receptors in the brain), apple cider vinegar (thought to curb appetite), cayenne pepper (a known thermogenic) (5), rhodiola rosea (for staving off fatigue) and L-arginine (an amino acid that promotes blood flow).
All told the roll call of ingredients in Rockstar Abs is a pretty solid one. Several proven thermogenics along with others that have shown various levels of promise and a couple of add-ons that help with mitigating fatigue and improving circulation.
What are the benefits of Rockstar Abs?
The benefits of using Rockstar Abs fat burner include more effective workouts, better circulation, improved stamina and of course a slimmer abdomen. Now whether your newly slimmed down abs take on the classic six pack profile or not will be up to you. It can help you melt away the fat but you’ll need to do the chiseling work in the gym.
By and large Rockstar Abs seems to be much more than just some flashy graphics and a marketable name. From the raspberry ketones and green coffee beans right down to the white kidney bean and garcinia cambogia a lot of thought has obviously gone into the formulation of this fat burner.
What are the side effects of Rockstar Abs?
Although none of the above mentioned ingredients is known to have serious side effects that doesn’t mean there are none and below we’ll take a look at them.
There is precious little reliable information regarding possible raspberry ketone side effects. That said doctors and other health professionals warn that raspberry ketones might – repeat might – cause a person to become a bit jittery and in rare cases they may experience rapid heartbeat.
Diabetics will want to take note of their potential to lower blood sugar levels. Pregnant women may also want to avoid them due to the lack of reliable data.
Side effects from green coffee beans are the result of their active ingredients: caffeine and particularly, chlorogenic acid. Everyone is familiar with the effects of caffeine so we’ll focus briefly on chlorogenic acid.
It’s known side effects are similar to those of raspberry ketones: possible elevated heart rate, a bit of anxiety and maybe a dose of the jitters. Taken in high volumes chlorogenic acid may also raise homocysteine levels (6) in the blood.
Hoodia is not known to cause any particular side effects of consequence. Although some have complained of upset stomach and others of mild diarrhea.
The side effects of white kidney bean extract are those things you are taking it for: the fact that it can inhibit the absorption of carbs which should cause you to lose weight. Having carbs fermenting in your gut instead of being absorbed, however, may leave you with a sense of bloating or indigestion (7).
How do you take Rockstar Abs?
There are no mysteries when it comes to taking Rockstar Abs Fat Burner. They recommend you take 1 tablet per day and try not to eat things that could undermine the ability of the supplement to help you burn fat by way of thermogenesis.
What are the reviews saying?
Curiously there is a paucity of reviews available for Rockstar Abs Fat Burner. Most of the Rockstar review attention tends to gravitate toward other products in their line. While few reviews are better than bad reviews it’s still a curious situation.
Those few user reviews we could find however were generally positive. None mentioned any particularly nasty side effects or other problems and customers seem to be pleased with their experience.
Is Rockstar Abs Fat Burner Safe?
Based on what we know about the ingredients and the research we conducted regarding potential side effects we feel confident in saying that, in our opinion, Rockstar Abs Fat Burner seems to be a safe product.
Caution is always advised, however, when taking anything that may alter your physical processes in any significant way. And since Rockstar Abs seems to deliver on its promise to initiate thermogenesis that caution would apply here.
The lack of clinical data also indicates that pregnant women should exercise an abundance of caution and avoid this product until there is more hard data to support the notion that it is absolutely safe.
Is Rockstar Abs Fat Burner Effective?
Rockstar Abs Fat Burner gives every indication that it should be effective in helping you burn excess fat without having to endure odious side effects. As with most such supplements however, effectiveness can easily be undone by eating foods that counteract or undermine the fat burning properties of the supplement.
For instance, if one starts eating loads of junk food while taking Rockstar Abs thinking that it’s okay because the supplement will burn all the fat away they’re likely in for an unpleasant surprise. So if you are going to use this product make sure it’s part of a comprehensive weight loss and fitness program.
Does it Contain GMOs?
The US FDA does not require that products list whether or not they contain genetically modified organisms (GMOs). In addition there is currently no legal definition for the term “all natural”. The FDA simply asks companies to voluntarily adhere to its suggested guidelines (8).
That said, in most cases these days if a product does not have a disclaimer on the label stating it is GMO free, there is a pretty good chance it includes them. Rockstar Abs Fat Burner claims to be all natural and does not say GMO free on its label. So you be the judge.
Is it Made by a Reputable Company?
Rockstar Nutrition is a nationally recognized producer of performance related supplements that is generally well regarded by customers and the fitness press alike.
Their brand enjoys widespread market penetration and has managed to stay free of controversy and negative press. So it’s fair to say that as of this writing they are regarded as a reputable company.
From what we can tell Rockstar Abs Fat Burner is pretty much what it says it is: an effective way to help you lose excess belly fat. The only qualifier is that you will need to use it in conjunction with an overall fitness plan.
But does it compete with LeanBean or other trendy top rated fat burners? That’s debatable…
The ingredients are known to be basically safe and effective and the company has a solid reputation for producing quality products. While we’re not crazy about the “proprietary blend” label there is nothing in that blend that raises red flags so we’ll give them a pass on trying to protect their trade secrets.
The bottom line is, while we would feel comfortable using this product as directed, it’s not your best option if you want fast, effective results. We recommend this one instead.